Wallabadah is found just 15 minutes east of Quirindi on the New England Highway. The town is home to around 250 people servicing the local sheep and cattle properties, and has a primary school. The area was first farmed in the 1830’s, with the post office established in 1856. The bushranger “Captain Thunderbolt” was active in the area in the 1860’s with his third daughter Mary Ann born in the town in 1866. Australia’s only garden memorial to the first and second fleets is located just off the highway, with a picnic and barbeque area just next to the creek. Wallabadah was the first town in Australia to found a Turf Racing Club, with the town still running the annual Picnic Race Day on New Year ’s Day.